The Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism is seeking candidates for a Managing Director who will bring our nonprofit media organization into the next phase of growth and impact.
The PCIJ is a non-stock, non-profit corporation whose mandate is to promote investigative reporting in the Philippines and elsewhere. Founded in 1989, it is widely credited for introducing the discipline and techniques of investigative reporting to the Philippines and other countries in Asia. It produces cutting-edge investigative reports, trains journalists, and also compiles resources, including documents and data, that journalists and the public can use to hold the powerful to account.
The PCIJ is seeking a visionary candidate who will work with the Executive Director and the Management Committee to champion the organization’s mission to deliver high-quality content and drive positive change. He or she must have strong managerial skills and be capable of designing and overseeing the organization’s workflow, operations, and human resources systems.
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Operational Leadership: Provide visionary leadership to enhance operational efficiency and effectiveness across all units. Develop and implement strategies to streamline processes, improve workflows, and optimize resource allocation.
- Team Management: Lead and mentor a diverse team, fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment. Set clear goals, expectations, and performance metrics, and provide regular feedback to ensure individual and team growth.
- Financial Oversight: Collaborate with the finance staff to create and manage budgets, monitor financial performance, and ensure adherence to financial goals.
- Strategic Planning: Work closely with the Executive Director and the Management Team to contribute to the development and execution of the organization's strategic plan. Participate in long-term planning initiatives to expand the organization's reach and impact.
- Project Management: Oversee project lifecycles, ensuring projects are delivered on time, within scope, and within budget. Implement project management best practices and tools to enhance project outcomes.
- Partnerships and Collaboration: Establish and nurture strategic partnerships with external organizations, fostering collaborations that align with the organization's mission and goals.
- Quality Assurance: Implement quality control measures to maintain the high standard of content, products, and services the organization provides. Ensure compliance with industry regulations and ethical standards.
- Risk Management: Identify potential operational risks and develop mitigation strategies to safeguard the organization's reputation and continuity.
Interested applicants must have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, management or related field or at least 5 years of senior experience in overall operations
- Proven track record of successful leadership and management in nonprofit or media organizations
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and budgeting
- Proficiency in project management methodologies and tools
- Knowledge of media industry trends and technologies
- Commitment to the organization's mission and values
If interested, please submit:
- A statement of purpose: How does this position fit in your career path? (maximum 500 words)
- A curriculum vitae with the names and contact details of at least three references
The shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by PCIJ’s Management Committee. Deadline for applications is October 30, 2023. Please send statement of purpose, CV, and cover letter to: email@example.com with the subject head “Your surname – Managing Director.”
— PCIJ, October 2023