NO ONE REALLY wants to wade in dirty floodwater, but for many of our kababayans there really is no choice.
The Department of Health has issued a health advisory on the disease leptospirosis, a bacteria often contracted by wading through dirty floodwater contaminated with rodent feces. The alert is valuable, not so much for the warning it gives to the public to avoid treading in the floods, but for the information it gives on how to spot the onset of the disease, and how best to treat it.
Health advisory on Leptospirosis
by Department of Health (Philippines) on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 at 1:21am ·
Cause: Leptospira bacteria
Incubation Period: 7-10 days
Mode of Transmission:
- Entry of the leptospira bacteria through wounds when in contact with flood waters, vegetation, moist soil contaminated with the urine of infected animals, especially rats.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Non-specific symptoms of muscle pain, headache
- Calf-muscle pain and reddish eyes fro some cases
- Severe cases result tot liver involvement, kidney failure or brain involvement. Thus some cases may have yellowish body discoloration, dark-colored urine and light stools, low urine output, severe headache.
- Antibiotics duly prescribed by a physician.
- Early recognition and treatment within two days of illness to prevent complications of leptospirosis, so early consultation is advised.
Prevention and Control:
- Avoid swimming or wading in potentially contaminated water or flood water.
- Use of proper protection like boots and gloves when work requires exposure to contaminated water.
- Drain potentially contaminated water when possible.
- Control rats in the household by using rat traps or rat poison, maintaining cleanliness in the house.
- Iwasang lumangoy, lumusong at maglaro sa baha.
- Gumamit ng bota kung kailangang lumusong sa baha.
- Sumakay sa bangka or rubber boats kung aalis ng bahay.
Mga Palatandaan ng Leptospirosis:
- Panginginig ng katawan o “Chills”
- Pananakit ng ulo, binti, kalamnan at kasu-kasuan
- Pamumula ng mga mata
- Paninilaw ng balat
- Nahihirapang umihi
Kung may lagnat ng 2 araw, agad na komunsulta sa doktor.
Buhay ay mahalaga, huwag lumusong sa baha.